Mr. Somerstein’s areas of practice include real estate acquisition and development, banking and finance, and business law. During the course of his career, he has handled sophisticated acquisitions, leasing and sales of shopping centers throughout the United States and all phases of lending work, including asset based lending. Mr. Somerstein’s clients include financial institutions, real estate developers, businesses and automobile dealers.
Mr. Somerstein authored articles published in Warranty Claims in the Florida Bar Journal. While in law school, he was the Title Standards Editor of the Law Review.
Mr. Somerstein is actively involved with community organizations as a member of the Board of Trustees of the University of Florida Law School and a Board Member of the American Heart Association’s Broward County Heart Walk. He has served on the American Bar Association, Title Insurance Committee, is a past board member of the
United Jewish Communities of Broward, Inc. and past president of the Soref Jewish Community Center. He is also past General Counsel and Board Member for the Urban League and is an alumnus of Leadership Broward.
Mr. Somerstein is recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2007 and 2008, and named among Florida Trend's "Legal Elite" 2008 and 2009, South Florida Legal Guide's "Top Lawyer" 2009 and 2010; Super Lawyers Guide "Leading Florida Attorney" by the America Research Corporation; and Best Lawyers in America, 2008-2012. In addition, he has been awarded with numerous honors including the Soref Community Service Award, Urban League of Broward County President’s Award, Jewish Federation of Broward Schlafer Leadership Award and the Florida Cystic Fibrosis
Mr. Somerstein is AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- J.D., with honors, University of Florida, 1982
- B.S., with honors, University of Florida, 1980
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- American Heart Association’s Broward County Heart Walk, Board Member
- Broward County Bar Association
- Jewish Community Center, Executive Board Member
- Leadership Broward, Alumni
- Rated AV® Preeminent ™, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- AV® certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence."
- Best Lawyers in America, U.S. News & World Report, Land Use & Zoning, and Environmental, 2008-2012
- Florida Super Lawyers, Leading Florida Attorney, Super Lawyers Magazine, Real Estate, 2007 & 2008
- Top Lawyer in South Florida, South Florida Legal Guide, 2009 & 2010
- Legal Elite, Florida Trend, 2008 & 2009
- Soref Community Service Award
- President’s Award, Urban League of Broward County, 2002
- Schlafer Leadership Award, Jewish Federation of Broward
- Appreciation Award, Florida Cystic Fibrosis Foundation