Ms. Calhoun concentrates her practice in land use and environmental law with a focus on representation of developers of commercial and residential real estate development and redevelopment projects. With more than 10 years experience in these areas of law, she has represented developers, national retailers, banks, and small and large companies seeking development entitlements in South Florida. She has represented clients before various governmental entities, including the Central Broward Water Control District, the Broward County Commission and various governmental bodies. Ms Calhoun routinely represents clients throughout various phases of the development approvals process, including site plan, variances and special exceptions. She has assisted clients with complex matters such as annexation of large areas into municipalities, land use plan amendments, Developments of Regional Impact (DRI) and a variety of related environmental issues.
Ms.Calhoun's depth of experience in both the private and public sectors offers her clients the benefit of insight into the governmental and regulatory approvals necessary for successful project development. A former Assistant City Attorney for the City of Ft. Lauderdale, Ms. Calhoun prosecuted criminal violations of the municipal code and also prepared agreements, resolutions, ordinances, leases and various documents pertaining to municipal matters. In addition, she has served as legal advisor to several municipal boards, and also has represented charter school operators and developers.
An AV Preeminent rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell, Ms Calhoun has been recognized by Law360 as one of 10 environmental attorneys under 40 to watch, and has been recommended by The Legal 500 US 2009 for Florida Real Estate and Construction related work in the areas of Land Use & Zoning. Ms. Calhoun has been awarded the honor as one of the "100 Outstanding Women of Broward County 2010" by The Susan B. Anthony Recovery Center and the Boys & Girls Clubs of Broward County.
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- J.D., University of Florida Levin College of Law, 1997
- B.A., University of Florida, 1994
- Broward County Bar Association
- Broward League of Cities
- The Florida Bar
- Miramar Cultural Center
- Susan B. Anthony Recovery Center, Board of Directors
- Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce Downtown Council, Board of Directors
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, Law Alumni Council Member
- Florida Diversity Council
- Rated AV® Preeminent ™, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- AV® certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence."
- One of Ten Environmental Attorneys Under 40 to Watch, Law360, 2010
- The Legal 500 US, Land Use & Zoning - Real Estate and Construction, 2009
- 100 Outstanding Women of Broward County, Susan B. Anthony Recovery Center and the Boys & Girls Clubs of Broward County, 2010