Mr. Smith is an experienced trial lawyer concentrating in complex commercial litigation in state and federal courts. Much of his practice is in the representation of clients involved in or related to real estate development. Thus, he has prepared and tried numerous cases on matters such as:
- contract disputes
- zoning and land use
- business disputes and business torts
- professional malpractice
- construction defects
- bid protests
In these matters, he has represented such clients as builders/developers, design professionals, contractors, subcontractors and lenders. Mr. Smith is also experienced in general commercial matters and administrative law.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr Smith was Assistant Attorney General with the Civil Division, Florida Department of Legal Affairs (1973-1975).
An AV Preeminent rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell, Mr. Smith has been named among the "Best Lawyers in America 2012" in the areas of Construction and Land Use & Zoning Litigation, and also has been recognized in Florida Super Lawyers, 2008 through 2011, in the area of Construction Litigation.
- J.D., with honors, Florida State University School of Law, 1973
- B.A., Valdosta State College, 1968
- American Academy of Trial Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Broward County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar, Administrative and Local Governmental Law Section
- The Florida Bar, Trial Lawyers Section
- Rated AV® Preeminent ™, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- AV® certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence."
- Best Lawyers in America, U.S. News & World Report, Litigation - Construction and Land Use & Zoning, 2012
- Florida Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Magazine, Construction Litigation, 2008 - 2012