Ms. Simmons concentrates her practice in real estate, probate and guardianship litigation.
Ms. Simmons is a past President of the National Bar Association and a past president of the Port St. Lucie Bar Association. She is also a former member of The Florida Bar Board of Governors, the State of Florida Judicial Qualifications Commission, and the Board of Directors of Enterprise Florida, Inc. She currently serves on the Board of Trustees of Florida Southern College.
Ms Simmons has been awarded honors by a variety of respected organizations, associations, and businesses. In 2007, the NBA presented Ms. Simmons with the "Gertrude E. Rush Award" that honors her spirit and commitment to mankind. She also received the "National Black Pre-Law Admissions and Preparation Conference Legacy Builder Award," the "PACE Believing in Girls Embrace Growth & Legacy Award," and the "Soroptimist Women of Distinction Award." In 2001, she was listed by Ebony magazine as one of the most influential African Americans in this country. She is the recipient of the American Association of University Women Port St. Lucie Chapter, "Outstanding Community Service Award" in the field of law. Other honors include the 2001 "Alumna of the Year" Award, Mercer University School of Law; 2001 "Outstanding Alumni Achievement" Citation, Florida Southern College; a proclamation from the City of Fernandina Beach, Florida declaring August 11, 2000 'Evett L. Simmons Day,' and the 1997 United Way of St. Lucie County "Volunteer of the Year" Award.
Ms. Simmons is the Chair of the Firm's Diversity Committee.
- U.S. District Court for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida
- Honorary Doctor of Laws Degree from Suffolk University, Boston, MA, 2001
- J.D., Mercer University Walter F. George School of Law, 1982
- B.A., Florida Southern College, 1979
- American Bar Association Diversity Center Committee
- American Bar Association’s Commission on Civic Education in the Nation’s Schools
- Past Chair, American Bar Association President's Council on Diversity in the Profession
- American Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- American Law Institute
- Past Chair, Continuing Legal Education Committee of The Florida Bar
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Florida Southern College, Board of Trustees
- Former Member, ABA House of Delegates
- Indian River Community College, Legal Assisting Advisory Committee
- NAACP, Life Member
- National Bar Association Crump Law Camp Committee, Chair
- Past President, National Bar Association
- PACE Center for Girls, Treasure Coast, Board of Directors
- Phi Mu Fraternity, Inc.
- Port St. Lucie Bar Association
- St. Lucie West Centennial High School, Advisory Committee
- Past President, Virgil Hawkins Florida Chapter National Bar Association
- Gertrude E. Rush Award, National Bar Association, 2007
- National Black Pre-Law Admissions and Preparation Conference Legacy Builder Award, 2007
- PACE Believing in Girls Embrace Growth & Legacy Award
- One of the Most Influential African Americans in the US, Ebony Magazine, 2001
- Outstanding Community Service Award in the Field of Law, American Association of University Women Port St. Lucie Chapter
- Alumna of the Year Award, Mercer University School of Law, 2001
- Outstanding Alumni Achievement Citation, Florida Southern College, 2001
- Evett L. Simmons Day Proclamation from the City of Fernandina Beach, FL, August 11, 2000
- Volunteer of the Year Award, United Way of St. Lucie County, 1997