Dennis Mele is widely recognized for his work in land use, zoning, environmental and governmental law. Having experience as a land planner and a city manager, Mr. Mele has a unique understanding of the myriad issues developers, property owners and local governments face; and, is able to advise clients on a wide range of complex matters,
Mr. Mele represents clients before federal, state, regional and local government agencies. He has extensive experience in land use, construction and budgeting issues pertaining to real estate development projects. In addition, he represents developers in obtaining approvals for Developments of Regional Impact (DRI’s), land use plan amendments, dredge and fill/environmental resource permitting and other development projects. Mr. Mele also has experience in representing clients with regard to wetlands jurisdictional determinations.
Utilizing his extensive experience with local government, Mr. Mele represents clients in the annexation of large land areas into municipalities, including the preparation of annexation agreements and special acts to protect property owners’ rights. He also represents local government, developers and property owners seeking development entitlements and works closely with real estate attorneys on land use and environmental issues affecting real estate transactions.
Mr. Mele frequently lectures on land use issues including environmental permitting and comprehensive planning.
- J.D., summa cum laude, University of Miami School of Law, 1988
- M.U.P., University of Michigan, 1979
- A.M., University of Michigan, 1978
- A.B., University of Michigan, 1976
- Land planner, South Florida Regional Planning Council, Broward County and City of Coconut Creek
- City Manager, City of Coconut Creek
- American Institute of Certified Planners
- American Planning Association
- Rated AV® Preeminent ™, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- AV® certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence."
- Best Lawyer of the Year, Land Use & Zoning, Miami, Best Lawyers in America, U.S. News & World Report, 2010
- Best Lawyers in America, U.S. News & World Report, Land Use & Zoning, and Environmental, 1995 - 2012
- Florida Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Magazine, Land Use & Zoning, 2007 - 2012
- Top Lawyer, South Florida Legal Guide, 2006 - 2010
- Top Ranked Leader in their Field, Chambers USA, Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use – 2009 & 2010
- The Legal 500, U.S. Edition, Land Use & Zoning - Real Estate and Construction, 2009