Mr. Somerstein concentrates his practice in the area of real estate transactional law, finance, leasing, general corporate sports law and land use.
Mr. Somerstein has represented many clients in the negotiation, structuring and documenting of real estate asset transactions, primarily, in connection with shopping centers, hotels and office buildings. Additionally, he works with developer clients in connection with the acquisition, permitting, land use planning, finance and development of large tracts of real estate. His extensive background has enabled him to assist numerous clients in taking a raw piece of real estate and developing it into a finished product.
A substantial part of Mr. Somerstein's practice involves all aspects of leasing and leasehold financing. Mr. Somerstein represents numerous landlords in connection with the leasing of office buildings, shopping centers and warehouses. He also represents numerous clients in negotiating leases on behalf of tenants. Mr. Somerstein has structured long-term ground leases to enable clients to develop on real estate based on the use of long-term ground leases on both a subordinated and unsubordinated basis.
Mr. Somerstein has spent a considerable period of time representing both lenders and borrowers in connection with real estate and asset-based financing. He has had extensive experience in loan workout and reorganizations. Mr. Somerstein is involved in structuring corporations, general partnerships, limited partnerships and joint ventures.
Mr. Somerstein has spoken at various seminars on office and industrial leasing and growth management.
An AV Preeminent rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell, Mr. Somerstein has been recognized in Best Lawyers in America for the last 16 years, Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2011, as a "Top Lawyer in South Florida" by the South Florida Legal Guide, 2002-2010, and has been named Florida Trend's Legal Elite 2009. Most recently, Mr. Somerstein was recognized among the "Top Dealmakers 2010" by the Daily Business Review in the categories of Land and Retail.
Mr. Somerstein has been recommended by The Legal 500 US 2009 for Florida Real Estate and Construction related work in the areas of development, leasing and finance, and named as a "Leader in their Field - Real Estate", by Chambers USA 2009 and 2010.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Miami School of Law, 1976
- B.A., Tulane University, 1975
- American Bar Association
- Broward County Bar Association
- Rated AV® Preeminent ™, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- AV® certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence."
- Best Lawyers in America, U.S. News & World Report, Land Use & Zoning, and Environmental, 1995 - 2012
- Florida Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Magazine, Real Estate, 2006 - 2012
- Top Dealmakers of the Year, Daily Business Review - Finalist, 2012
- Top Lawyer in South Florida, South Florida Legal Guide, 2002 - 2010
- Top Dealmakers - Land and Retail, Daily Business Review, 2010
- Legal Elite, Florida Trend, 2009, 2012
- The Legal 500 US, Land Use & Zoning - Real Estate and Construction, 2009